We would encourage all of our members to support these anti-racism organizations and educate yourselves through some of these learning materials.
ULI’s Global DEI Community
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Community is an online “neighbourhood” for ULI members and staff to share real-time communication about DEI efforts from the Institute and our members and member networks. Community moderators as well as community members can post relevant articles and resources, ask questions, and start conversations on topics of interest. Our hope is that through knowledge sharing we can all strengthen our understanding of the multifaceted issues involved with diversity, equity, and inclusion broadly, and specifically in the real estate industry.
You must opt into this community. To join, click here. When you join, you may choose to receive emails when new information is posted and the frequency of those emails, or you can opt out of emails altogether and just check the community postings at your leisure. We will post resources, minutes, and agendas from those exchange calls here so that members may access them.
For more on ULI’s Global Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiative, please click here.
Reading Material – Please support your local library and bookstores
- So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- The Colour of Law: A Forgotten History of How our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein
- A Call to Courage: An Open Letter to Canadian Urbanists by Jay Pitter
- A Reading List On Race For Allies Who Want To Do Better
- 8 must read books on US land use and housing policy
- Corporate Canada needs to take an active role in dismantling anti-Black racism | Globe and Mail
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
- How To Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Displacing Blackness: Planning, Power and Race in Twentieth-Century Halifax by Ted Rutland
- The Pervasive Reality of Anti-Black Racism in Canada
- An Antiracist Reading List | Indigo
- Asian Heritage Month Resources | Government of Canada
- Communication About Culturally Sensitive Issues
- Confronting Bias: Thriving Across Our Differences
- Cultivating Cultural Competence and Inclusion
- 13,000 years of Indigenous History in the GTA – And Why It Matters to Planning & Development
- Champions and Allies: A Conversation about Dismantling Barriers to Equality
- Engaging Change: A frank discussion on anti-Black racism in the design and development industry
- Racism & Exclusion in the Workplace Webinar: Part 1: Fireside Chat with Karlyn Percil-Mercieca
- Canadian Urban Institute (CUI): How do we respond to anti-Black racism in urbanist practices and conversations?
Organizations to Support
- Black Lives Matter Canada
- Black North Initiative
- HireNext Employers
- Anti-Racism Industry Organizations
Watch and Listen
- Canada’s slavery secret: The whitewashing of 200 years of enslavement | CBC
- Slavery’s long shadow: The impact of 200 years enslavement in Canada | CBC
- The prairies’ forgotten history of Black life and Culture | CBC
- The Sunday Magazine with Piya Chattopadhyay – October 11, 2020: Ibram X. Kendi on race and the 2020 US Presidential Election
- Is It Time To Say R.I.P. To ‘POC’? | Code Switch
- Black Lives Matter Watchlist | Netflix