Urban Strategies is a leading international planning and urban design firm, based in Toronto, Canada. We have over 70 permanent staff from diverse professional backgrounds including architecture, economics, landscape architecture, planning, public administration and the visual arts. This diversity allows us to meaningfully integrate planning and design to evolve and transform communities. Our work occurs at many scales and in many diverse places, and includes the preparation of community and institutional master plans, downtown revitalization strategies, waterfront renewal, development planning and policy plans. We have clients across North America, in the UK, Europe, the Caribbean and Asia. We are located on the top floors of a sunlit, post-and-beam former knitting factory at Queen Street W. and Spadina Ave, in downtown Toronto. We have a strong reputation for great work, great people, and great coffee.
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for the day to day operations of the HR function in support of the overall business. This role reports to the Director, Finance & Operations. This role is the Chair of the Human Resource Committee.
Recruitment & Onboarding & Offboarding
- Assist Partners with recruitment and selection;
- Including but not limited to – Preparation of job postings, Perform first review of all incoming resumes, make recommendations of candidates for interview, manage relationships with external recruiters, manage applicant tracking, prepare employment contracts
- Management of the continuous improvement and upgrading of onboarding and offboarding materials; coordinate the inclusion of position specific induction materials;
- Build relationships with reputable recruitment agencies;
- Support Urban Design Assistant (Intern) recruitment;
- Assist with onboarding plans for new hires; support the evolution of the mentorship program;
- Support employee offboarding including coordination of the employee exit survey & interview processes.
Payroll & Benefits Administration
- Liaise with the Director of Finance & Operations regarding new hires, transfers, promotions, terminations and salary changes;
- Benefits administration including RRSP;
- Maintain HR files including e-files and data maintained within the HRIS;
- Firm-wide productivity and other time management analysis and tracking (time-in-lieu, vacation, etc.).
HR Compliance and Health and Safety
- In collaboration with the Director of Finance & Operations, ensure and make recommendations on compliance with regulations and employment standards;
- In collaboration with the HR Committee, ensure compliance with relevant health and safety legislation;
- Participate in and support the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Salary analysis and benefits review within the planning and design industries; both private and public markets through a range of inputs
- Assist in the coordination of employee performance and appraisal programs and in creating employee development plans;
- Management of the Employee Review Framework and continuous improvement thereof
- Management of the Employee Handbook
- Annual review of job descriptions
- Coordinate with relevant employees and committee chairs to resource and share professional development opportunities, organization of such programs and confirm attendance.
- Work collaboratively with relevant employee groups and committee chairs on a structured professional development calendar;
Other responsibilities include:
- First point of contact for staff employee relations;
- Contact person for governmental and/or authorities regarding HR related issues
- Coordination of employee project allocation;
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by the DFO or HR Committee
- Participate in Executive and Management Committees
- Continually learning and staying up to date on related industry trends.
Skills/ Qualifications/ Experience
|Diploma or degree in Human Resources or a related field||CHRP designation or working towards designation|
|Familiarity with industry standard HR management and payroll software|
|Proven knowledge of provincial/ local employment law|
|A solid understanding of MS Office suite including Word, Excel & PowerPoint.|
|Organized and detail orientated|
|Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks;|
|Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;|
|The ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.|
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.